What type of information are you looking for?
If your question is not answered below please feel free to contact us at:
P.O. Box 697
Meridian, ID 83646
- When will the knife I want be available?
- The best way to know when a model will be in stock is to sign up for the SURVIVE! newsletter or check out our Production Schedule.
- How do I place a preorder?
- Placing a preorder guarantees you will get a SURVIVE! knife with the exact specifications you are looking for. You will be charged in full at the time you place your preorder. This is to ensure we are able to produce as many knives as possible and keep our energy focused on fulfilling orders rather than collecting payments.
- How long will it take to get my order?
- We will not sacrifice quality in order to speed up delivery time frames.
- - For general ordering delivery varies and could be up to 90 days. Product pages will have delivery information posted.
- - GSO Series Preorders have no guaranteed delivery date since the knives still need to be made, by going through several production processes. We are currently behind on fulfilling these orders due to past machining problems. SURVIVE! has since changed service providers and we are taking a more active role in overseeing all steps of the production process. Starting with the GSO-3.5 production run there will be a significant change in the delivery timelines. With this new system we are planning to have all preorders fulfilled by the end of 2020.
- What payment options are available?
- We accept VISA, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover credit cards as well as PayPal.
- Do you offer MIL/LEO/EMS discounts?
- We do offer some discounts to emergency service personnel with proof of service, please email Info@SurviveKnives.com for more information.
- How do I become a SURVIVE! dealer?
- We are not currently accepting dealer applications. SURVIVE! is working hard to keep up with current demand requirements and will be focusing our energy and resources on production until further notice.
- Can I have a knife to review on my channel/blog?
- Unfortunately, we do not have any knives to spare at the moment. We have no plans to supply knives to reviewers.
- What are the differences between the SURVIVE! Series?
- Each Series features a unique type of SURVIVE! knife.
- - SK Series: Based on our popular GSO Series designs, the SK Series is our premium production offering. This series features top notch materials, a precise fit and finish, and a wide assortment of handle and sheath options. By adopting more scalable finishing methods these knives will be more readily available and have shorter lead times compared to their GSO Series counterparts.
- - GSO Series: Short for Guy Seiferd Original, this series is the top of the line option from SURVIVE!. True to its name, these knives are individually finished by the company's owner, Guy Seiferd.
- - F Series: Sometimes it just isn't practical to carry a fixed blade. Our F Series is where you'll find our folding options.
- What types of steel do you use?
- Choosing the best steel is a very important process which Guy takes very seriously when he is designing a knife. The GSO series models are made using CPM-3V, CPM-20CV or both steel options, depending on their intended application. In an attempt to keep prices as low as possible on the SK series we are currently researching alternative steel options.
- About CPM-3V: CPM-3V is a high alloyed tool steel, made using the Crucible Particle Metallurgy process, that has a very high impact toughness and excellent edge holding. Being made with the CPM process, this steel is also very resistant to lateral stress (flex) breakage, making it a perfect choice for a high performance, hard use knife. CPM-3V is not a stainless alloy and can stain if not cared for.
- About CPM-20CV: CPM-20CV is a very high quality martensitic stainless steel, with outstanding corrosion resistance and excellent edge holding. CPM-20CV does lack the impact toughness of CPM-3V but being made with the CPM process, this steel is still very resistant to lateral stress (flex) breakage. Consider CPM-20CV for a very low maintenance, all weather cutting tool.
- Previous production CPM steel blades made before 2015 were expertly heat treated to 58-59 Rc. New production models are being heat treated to 59.5-60.5 Rc. All of our blades undergo multiple tempers and a cryo treatment, to maximize toughness and longevity.
- How can I order a knife with a scandi or full flat grind?
- Right now our knives are what they are for a given production run. To keep costs down, production runs are made in large batches, which makes it impossible for us to do a handful of unique blades. With that being said, Guy has a lot of great ideas. Once existing preorders are fulfilled, some of those ideas will start to be available as GSO Series knives. The best way to stay informed about the availability of different grinds and other options would be to keep up with us @surviveknives and sign up for the SURVIVE! newsletter.
- What coating options do you offer?
- We do not currently offer coating options but keep an eye on the GSO Series, which will have more available options in the future.
- Do you have any left-handed options?
- Guy, SURVIVE! owner and product designer, is left handed. He makes sure all of our products can be used by both righties and lefties.
Shipping & Delivery
- How can I check my order status to see if it has shipped?
- If you were logged in to your account when you placed the order you can check the status of your order by logging in and clicking on the "view order status" link in the left-hand column. Please sign up for the newsletter and follow us on instagram for regular updates.
- Do you ship internationally?
- Yes, SURVIVE! welcomes and encourages orders from all over the world. We will be happy to ship to your country and continue to offer a flat rate, low cost shipping option for all international orders. When checking out you will be given an option to have your order shipped with USPS or DHL.
- Due to the unpredictable nature of international shipments, SURVIVE! will not replace lost international shipments.
- *SURVIVE! will not undervalue shipments or falsify customs declarations in any way*
- Please contact Info@SurviveKnives.com prior to placing your order if you have any questions, concerns or special handling instructions. It would be our pleasure to assist you.
- Can I get a tracking number for my order?
- Definitely. If you provided an accurate email address in your checkout you will receive a shipment confirmation email which will include your tracking number.
- What happens if my order gets lost or damaged in shipment?
- Our standard shipping is USPS Priority Mail. Please understand that FOB (ownership transfer point) is when your item is given to the shipping agent. SURVIVE! will not be responsible for items that are lost or damaged in transit. All issues regarding lost or damaged items must be settled with the shipping company. All SURVIVE! knife orders are fully insured and, if lost in transit, we will do our best to issue you a refund or replace your lost item with a comparable model. Please feel free to contact Info@SurviveKnives.com prior to placing your order if you have any questions, concerns or special handling requests.
Warranty & Returns
- What is the warranty policy?
- All SURVIVE! knives are warranted for life against defects in materials and workmanship. Additionally, if your knife should ever suffer significant unintentional damage, we will replace it with a comparable model for only the cost of shipping and handling. Factory 2nds are also covered against defects under our lifetime warranty.
- SURVIVE! knives are designed for use as a cutting tool, built using premium materials, to provide many years of reliable service. Use of a SURVIVE! knife for any purpose other than cutting is considered abuse, which is not covered by our lifetime warranty. SURVIVE! knives, like any tool, can eventually wear out. Keep your SURVIVE! knife well maintained for best performance and optimum service life. Blade coatings and factory sheath systems are not covered by our lifetime warranty.
- Knives damaged due to abuse/neglect will be handled on an individual basis and will be repaired or replaced, at our discretion, for a reasonable rate. Please contact Info@SurviveKnives.com for all warranty, service or repair inquiries.
- Will it be covered under warranty if I modify my blade?
- Most likely. Our knives are designed to be a tool that is comfortable and functional as it is but we encourage people to modify them to their requirements. We have seen some really neat customizations including: ferro notches, reground 90 degree spine angles, custom skeletonizing, swedge grinds, reprofiled handles, convexed edges, all kinds of stuff. For the most part we love seeing these alterations and will still cover the knife under warranty, as long as the modification itself doesn't cause the knife failure. Let’s be sensible here, as an example: if you saw a notch through all but the tiniest bit of steel and then try to baton with the blade, we can’t just give you a new knife. Please contact us at Info@SurviveKnives.com if you are planning to customize your knife and have concerns about the warranty. We will be happy to delve in to any philosophical conversations that result from your modification dreams.
- How do I return an order?
- Any product(s) ordered from the official SURVIVE! website may be returned, in an unused condition, within fifteen (15) days of receipt. There will be a 10% cancellation fee on any refunds for orders placed after Jan 01, 2017. Please contact Info@SurviveKnives.com for any return requests.
- No returns are accepted once an item has been used. This excludes warranty returns, which are outlined in the SURVIVE! warranty policy.
- Any SURVIVE! product(s) purchased at a retail location are subject to the return policies of that particular store. SURVIVE! in no way governs the return policies of any retail location so confirm your store's return policy before committing to a purchase.
- What is the factory angle on my knife?
- We do not have one specific angle that we use in the workshop. All SURVIVE! knives are between 20 and 24 degrees per side. As a general rule, smaller models tend to have a smaller included angle.
- What is the best way to resharpen my knife?
- This is a debate that has probably been going on for thousands of years and we finally have the answer, send it to us! We offer resharpening services for all of our knives. Check out our resharpening page to get started.
- Ok, you really want to do it yourself? Guy likes the two sided Norton stones or the Lansky system. In the end, only you can decide what works best for you. YouTube and industry forums are a great way to get an introduction to all of the options available.
- I should have gotten a ferro notch, can I send the knife in to have one put in?
- We are no longer offering the ferro notch option to be added to our New Spec models. The spine on all of our New Spec blades is sharp enough to strike a ferro rod without the notch being added. However, we can add a ferro notch to your Old Spec knife upon request, just send an email Info@SurviveKnives.com for more information.
- How should I store my knife?
- The most important thing to remember when storing your knife is to clean and oil it, especially for steels that are not stainless.
- There are brown spots on my knife, what should I do?
- This may be spotting which can happen on CPM-3V steel. You should be able to clean them off with #000 or #0000 steel wool and some light scrubbing. Once your blade is clean, be sure to dry it completely and then oil it. There is a brief video over at our YouTube channel where you can see Guy cleaning up a knife with spotting issues, check it out: here.
- What type of oil should I use on my knife?
- Any oil will do. Mineral oil is a great food safe option. Gun lubes like Rem-Oil, CLP, dry film lubricants, machine oil, or something similar work best but a WD-40 or PB-Blaster spray type cleaner/lube will also work.